All students have the right to a safe campus, free of sexual violence. SAFER empowers students to hold their universities accountable for having strong campus sexual assault policies and programming. We’re here to help you organize for change. Read More
SAFER offers one-day teach-ins to facilitate campus-wide dialogue, weekend trainings for students only, and a mentoring program for student organizers. Contact us to schedule a training, and we will send one of our experienced organizers to YOU!
What's New at SAFER
- SAFER and V-Day is proud to announce the release of Making the Grade? Findings from the Campus Accountability Project on Sexual Assault Policies.
- On October 7, SAFER Communications Coordinator Tracey Vitchers was quoted in MSNBC's The Last Word about how the government shutdown is affecting college sexual assault investigations.
- On September 13, SAFER Evaluation Coordinator Dr. Emily Greytak, was quoted in Christian Science Monitor and ThinkProgress stories about Yale University's efforts to clarify and define "consent."
- Check out a podcast from CALCASA's Prevent Connect, featuring Emily Greytak.
- On May 10, Emily Greytak was quoted in a Huffington Post story about SAFER's study, Moving Beyond Blue Lights and Buddy Systems: A National Study of Student Anti-Rape Activists.
- On April 23, Emily Greytak was also quoted in an Alternet story about SAFER's study.
- In honor of Sexual Assault ACTIVISM Month, this April, SAFER released the results of Moving Beyond Blue Lights and Buddy Systems: A National Study of Student Anti-Rape Activists. For more information, check out our blog where SAFER Evaluation Coordinator Dr. Emily Greytak shared more about the study and its findings. On April 6, Emily was quoted in a USA Today story about the study.
- On March 8, SAFER Board Chair Selena Shen was quoted in a USA Today story about sexual assault responses by college administrations. Is your school keeping accountable for reports of sexual assault?
- Last November, SAFER and Hollaback! published a letter to the editor of the New York Times in response to an op-ed threatening a safe learning environment for college students. Check it out and let us know your thoughts!
- Learn more about policy in SAFER's latest Activist Resource Center (ARC) article, CAMPUS POLICY: DOWN TO DETAILS.
- Got questions about using new media for your campaign? Find answers in SAFER's NEW MEDIA GUIDE.
- Don't let the burnout blues get the best of you. Check out SELF CARE 101!
- Former SAFER Board Member Dan Wald speaks to AlterNet about men's role in anti-rape activism.
- Women's eNews talks to former SAFER Board Members Dan Wald and Sarah Martino about SAFER and V-Day's Campus Accountability Project.
- Check out this factsheet on sexual assault and housing rights on campus, a collaboration between SAFER and the ACLU Women's Rights Project.
- Take a look at our 2009 Policies Database Report. An updated report to come!
Dan WaldIthaca College
In February of 2008, three reported campus rapes prompted the creation of a Sexual Assault Workgroup to reform the school's policy. Dan was part of that group, and describes the process of re-writing the policy.
Jerin Alam and Elischia FluddCUNY (John Jay and Hunter Collge)
Jerin and Elischia began a campaign to implement a sexual assault policy throughout the entire City University of New York system, which covers over 450,000 students. They have a number of organizing tips for students just starting out.
Erin BurrowsSarah Lawrence College
Erin was part of a successful campaign to completely revise Sarah Lawrence College's sexual assault policies and programming. SLC students got creative with protests and zines, and after three years of hard work their new policy was adopted in fall 2009.
Recent Blog Posts
- Sexual Health Innovations is Creating a new Sexual Assault and Harassment Reporting System for College Campuses Nov 11
- SAFER and V-Day Release Report on Campus Sexual Assault Policies in the U.S. Oct 30
- Upcoming NYC Event: Launch Event for “We Do! American Leaders Who Believe in Marriage Equality” Oct 17
- Why Campus Sexual Violence Prevention Must Be A Community Effort Oct 16
- Bergen Community College Launches Violence Prevention Intervention Center Sep 19